Thinking about injectable fillers but still on the fence? We highlight 5 things you need to know about fillers, so you’ll be able to make a more informed decision:
1. Fillers can restore lost volume & deeply hydrate skin
Fillers can help to lift sagging skin and reduce sunkenness, restoring a youthful appearance.
Fillers made of hyaluronic acid also help to deeply hydrate skin. Hyaluronic acid has the capability to absorb up to 200x its weight in water – hence when injected into the skin, dermal fillers can help to restore the plumpness and suppleness in your skin.
2. There are many different types of fillers available
Different fillers can be made from different materials – this has an effect on a filler’s properties and how long it can last for.
Some of the major filler types include:
Hyaluronic acid fillers:
- Lasts for 6-12 months in your skin
- Helps to hydrate and plump up skin
Poly-L-lactic acid fillers:
- Poly-L-lactic acid is a biocompatible and biodegradable substance that is commonly found in surgery stitches and can be naturally absorbed by the body
- Helps stimulate collagen production
- Can last between 1 – 2 years
Calcium hydroxylapatite fillers:
- Calcium hydroxylapatite is a substance found naturally in human bones
- The heaviest of all dermal fillers
Even within the main categories of HA fillers or PLLA fillers, the different brands differ, for instance, in terms of filler particle sizes – which can affect the area or depth of the ideal treatment area.
Hence, it’s best to let a doctor examine your skin condition, and understand what exactly you’d like treated so that he/she can recommend the filler best suited for your needs.
3. More is not always better
While fillers can help restore loss in volume as a result of aging, it doesn’t mean that the more fillers you inject, the better.
Sometimes, having too much fillers injected can result in what is commonly known as the pillow face phenomenon i.e. looking too puffy from too many filler injections.
Hence, when choosing a doctor, make sure you choose one that doesn’t hardsell their patients to buy more and more fillers.
4. You will not look worse if you do not continue filler injections
A common misunderstanding about fillers is that your skin will start to sag after you stop doing fillers.
Fillers actually can help to boost your skin’s natural collagen production.
What fillers (or anything, really) can’t stop is the aging process; aging is a dynamic process – as we age, our bones and muscles tend to shrink and our skin tends to lose its elasticity, in turn resulting in common age problems such as sagging skin and sunken tear troughs.
5. Fillers and botulinum toxin injections are different!
Don’t get confused between the two! The latter is mainly used for treating mild to moderate facial wrinkles, such as crow’s feet, frown lines, or glabella lines. Many patients commonly opt to do anti-wrinkle injections in conjunction with fillers to lift and rejuvenate their faces.
At LS Aesthetic, we carry a wide range of fillers to treat both aging and facial contouring concerns. For more information, call us at +65 6738 4700, email us at email@example.com, or visit us at Wisma Atria, Orchard Road.
We provide honest advice, quality care, and affordable prices.