What causes my enlarged pores?
Clogged pores result from the gradual buildup of oil and dead skin cells beneath your skin’s surface. This often makes it difficult for the oil produced by your sebaceous glands to flow, causing your pores to enlarge as a result.
Genetics can also play a part in causing enlarged pores – those with naturally oily skin are more likely to have larger pores.
Age is another main culprit: as we age, we lose the elasticity in our skin due to decreased levels of collagen and elastin production. The natural shedding process that helps to clear dead skin cells also slows down as we age, causing pores to appear larger than they usually are.
How can I treat my enlarged pores?
- Laser Skin Resurfacing Treatments Our non-invasive laser treatments can safely, naturally, and effectively reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, by stimulating the growth of new skin cells.
- Carbon Laser Peels Our carbon laser peel helps to minimise and unclog pores, while tackling acne and oily skin concerns.
- Chemical Peels Chemical peels can safely resurface the skin and promote the growth of new skin. This effectively clears your skin’s surface of dead skin cells, revealing the fresher, softer skin underneath, as well as reducing the likelihood of clogged and enlarged pores.
- Intradermal Botulinum Toxin Intradermal Botulinum Toxin is injected into the muscles that controls pore size, causing pores to shrink and appear smaller. It can also help to suppress oil production, helping to reduce the likelihood of clogged and enlarged pores.
- A good cleansing routine One of the easiest ways to prevent the occurrence of enlarged pores is to adopt a good daily cleansing routine, to prevent the buildup of oil and dead skin cells on your skin’s surface.
#1: Cleanse Cleanse your skin daily with a cleanser that is suitable for your skin type and not overly harsh. You may wish to use a cleanser that contains lactic or salicylic acid that helps to gently exfoliate the skin.
#2: Exfoliate Using a scrub twice a week can help to clear your skin’s surface of dead skin cells, giving you brighter and more radiant skin.
#3: Treat The use of products containing salicyclic acid or benzyl peroxide can help to eliminate acne bacteria and reduce oil production. Our Pumpkin Clarifying Mask is also useful in drawing out impurities that can potentially clog and enlarge pores. At LS Aesthetic, we offer a range of medical-grade products for your daily skincare routine that can help in keeping your skin cleansed, refreshed, and rejuvenated.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects are minimal. For chemical peels, you may experience facial redness or skin peeling a few days after the peel. The stronger the peel, the longer the downtime.
For laser treatments, you might experience mild facial redness immediately after the procedure, but this usually subsides within a few hours.
Am I a suitable candidate?
Our laser treatments and Intradermal Botulinum Toxin procedures are suitable for all skin types.
Chemical peels should be avoided if you have any of the following conditions:
- Extremely sensitive or sunburnt skin
- Active herpes infections
- Usage of Accutane within the past year
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Aspirin allergies
- History of radiation therapy or autoimmune diseases