What can Prowave do for me?
Prowave is a gentle yet effective hair removal procedure that uses infrared technology to yield long-term reduction of unwanted hair.
How does Prowave work?
The Prowave device emits infrared light, which is selectively absorbed by hair follicles. This disables the growth of hair follicles while keeping surrounding skin intact.
What can I expect during the procedure?
Given the mild nature of the procedure, no local anaesthetic is typically required, but our experienced therapists can apply it for you upon request. During the procedure, you will feel a warm and slightly prickly sensation, but most patients report this as being mild and tolerable.
Are there any side effects or downtime?
Side effects are minimal: some patients report seeing redness in the treatment area immediately after their Proshock Ice procedure but this should subside after a few hours. There is no downtime required for Proshock Ice procedures and you will be able to resume your daily activities immediately.
How should I prepare for my Prowave procedure?
Hair in the treatment area should be shaved prior to the procedure. Do not pluck or wax hair at least 2 weeks prior to your treatment, as this removes the hair shaft from the hair follicles, rendering the Prowave treatments less effective.
It is also important to avoid any artificial tanning treatments 1 month prior to your procedure, and to avoid suntanning until 1-2 months after your treatment course has ended.
What is the difference between Prowave and laser hair removal?
While both types of hair removal treatments use directed light energy to reduce unwanted hair, both have their respective advantages:
Advantages of Prowave:
- Flexibility: The Prowave machine has multiple programs that tailor the light wavelength and pulse width according to your skin type, enhancing the efficacy of your treatments.
- Fast treatment: As a gauge, the treatment for hair removal from both legs can be completed within 15 minutes, while hair removal from the back can be completed within 20 minutes.
- Cost effective
- Fuss-free procedure: No local anaesthetic is required prior to the treatment, reducing treatment time without compromising patient discomfort.
- Advantages of laser hair removal:
- Suitable for all skin types: The laser procedure does not cause any discolouration of the skin.
- Microsecond technology: This allows for gentle skin rejuvenation, reducing pore size and fine lines while improving skin texture.
- Gold-plated copper cooling mechanism: This rapidly removes heat from the skin during the procedure, allowing you to undergo the procedure in comfort. The thermal conductivity of gold-plated copper is 10 times that of sapphire windows, the most common method of skin cooling during laser treatments, and therefore is the most efficient method of removing heat from the skin.
How often should I undergo treatment for hair removal?
As with most hair removal methods, you will need to undergo several sessions, due to the nature of the hair’s growth cycle.
Hair generally undergoes 3 stages of growth – the “active”, “regressive”, and “resting” stages respectively – and hair is most susceptible to laser and Prowave treatments during the “active” phase. Given that not all of your hair will be in the “active” phrase at any one point in time, multiple hair removal sessions are required in order to effectively target all hair follicles.
The exact number of treatments required will differ depend on the body part being treated for hair removal.
Am I a suitable candidate?
Prowave is suitable for all skin types, as it has multiple programs that tailor the light wavelength and pulse width according to your skin type, enhancing the efficacy of your treatments.
However, there may be increased risk for patients with tanned or naturally dark skin. For such patients, laser hair removal may be a safer option.